My first and second nomination lists of things I love hearing on country's perennial award-winners, have stimulated even more:
* At the start of each hour of the morning show (5:59 and 6:59), they immediately promote to 6:20 and 7:20 am with a specific reason to listen an extra quarter hour.
* At 7:50, they do a powerful, compelling, content-driven, listener-relevant reason to take the station to work.
* They establish strong 'reason to listen' benchmarks in the 9 am, 11 am, 1 pm and 3 pm hours with fixed-time appointments to listen regularly, featuring powerful pay-offs to heavy users of the station. These are reinforced both on the air and in interactive media, online and text.
* They don't rely on radio-talk crutches like double time sells (analog and digital), say (time) "now," (temp) "outside," or use back announce audience-losers like "before that, we started off with, the latest from." PPM is powerfully demonstrating that radio "announcers" have conditioned listeners that commercials are coming and it's time to tune out unless the voice is a unique character the listener considers a "brand," who engages in emotion-sharing and story-telling first and foremost, with something important to say.
* No mixed messages, cynical attitude, dirty stuff. Funny, entertaining, bright, warm, friendly attitude.
So, what ARE you hearing right now that you like?
Best Jobs Survey: Entertaining on the One Hand, An Opportunity for Growth, Respect and Recruitment on the Other - Not that I spend a lot of time thinking about surveys like this, but the latest CareerCast.com 2016 Jobs Report ranks “Disc Jockey” 197th out of 200 (we’ve...
6 days ago